Get Your Business Found on Google Today!
Looking for a quick check on your Google-friendliness? Here’s a handy checklist to measure your progress.
Moving up in the search results takes time, patience and high quality information that includes the keywords your audience is searching. Remember, your audience, or customers, are looking to solve a problem. You want your business to be the solution.
Google condensed the number of visible Business Listings in the search results down to three. These three listings are referred to as the Snack Pack. Here is an example of the Snack Pack in the auto dealer category. These three businesses listed increase their exposure exponentially.
Top the Organic Charts
Only a small percentage of consumers will click the “ADs” at the top of the search results. Only 7% of searchers feel the content matches their search, or feel safe clicking the content. Organic content is the other 93%!
Organic content is free. It’s a genuine match to what the searcher was looking for and as a business owner, you have complete control over the content. But here’s the thing. It takes time and it takes effort, but the checklist below is everything you need to know to rise to the top of the organic search results.
As a business owner, you have complete control over the content
1. Backlinks still matter.
Those inbound and outbound links on your website matter. Linking to other areas of your website, other content and articles, it matters. As do the inbound links to your website. Google likes to see other websites (Facebook, Twitter) linking to your website.
2. Be sure your Name, Address, Phone number (NAP) match your social profile info.
The business information on your Business Listing, social profiles and directories should be the same. Google rewards businesses that take the time to keep this information consistent.
3. Optimize your Google Business Listing category based on your target audience. IE local business categories.
If Google does not know your business category, then it is nearly impossible to appear in the search result. Be as specific as you can about the type of business you operate. IE If you are a Consultant, list yourself as a Consultant, not as a Corporate Office.
4. Optimize descriptions on your channels. IE use your keyword research!!
Each business listing and social channel gives you another opportunity to describe your business. The descriptions should be the same, or similar, but should describe your business as accurately as possible.
5. Geo-tag your photos on all channels.
Add location specific data to your photos, or “allow” location data to be saved with your photos. And don’t forget to name your photos with “keywords” and “business name.” IE “Be Google-Friendly Above the Fold”
6. Use G+ for photos,
descriptions and posts.
Google+ is the unknown, hardly-heard-of Facebook twin. It never took off in Canada but boy does it improve search results!
7. Enhance your Google maps details.
Complete all available details on your map Listing. This links to your Google Business Listing.
8. Complete your meta data, titles and descriptions on your website.
Use the titles, descriptions and all of the meta data available to you in the back end of your website.
9. Add Reviews to your site, Listing and social profiles.
Google loves to see business Reviews! Ask for them. Respond quickly to them. Share them.
These simple steps will keep your business Google-friendly. If you would like to see your business search results improve, this list is exactly where you need to start!
Let us know how it goes!